cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3660 password recovery

diastiago
Level 1
Level 1

Have a 3660, that when following the password recovery procedure http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_password_recovery09186a0080094774.shtml doesn't allow to perform foward of step 10 on the procedure and doesen't allow to run any comand like:

Show run

config t

no authorization level

I don't need the configuration that is installed, how can I do a default reset and erase everything at Rommon prompt?

Also I have a PCMCIA 48Mb flash card from ScanDisk that the router can not read, should I format the card?

7 Replies 7

Mrizwan01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It seems that the Flash/IOS corrupted. If you have any other spare flash with IOS just insert and try to boot the device with that. Up to my knowledge you cannot delete the NVRAM in Rommon. another way is to boot it using the xmodem but will take long time.

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Is there any chance that you could run through the procedure again and post screen content. Both the commands you type and the responses received.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

###################################PC = 0xbfc0da24, Cause = 0x2000, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect

rommon 2 > reset

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Press RETURN to get started!

Router>en

Router#config memor

BCLJI92#

*Feb 28 18:00:40: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

BCLJI92#sh running-config

% Authorization failed.

BCLJI92#config ter

% Authorization failed.

BCLJI92#

Hi There

Am I correct in assuming that this router will boot up correctly and present a normal password or login/password challange or does it dispaly any error messages when booting or boot directly to ROMMON mode?

If yes then this would suggest that there is no problem with the Flash memory or IOS.

So run the procedureagain and try the command "copy startup-config running-config" instead of the "configure memory" command and see if that makes any difference.

Please again capture the output from the procedure and post it if you still have problems.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Yes, you are correct the router loads normally.

But because of time constrains I stop working on this router and I am using a second 3660 router that was spare, and is working fine.

Thanks

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi

If you donot want to restopre the configuration, then instead of step 9, you can do

boot sys disk1:

All this has to be done from config mode.

After this do "copy run start" or "wr"

Then reset the config reg to 0x2102 and reload the device.

Regards,

Niranjan

Hi,

Correct me if i am wrong.

1. You are able to configure the router once it is up. And in the prompt Router#.

2. Once you configure the router you are not able to go to the conifg mode or config the reg, show commands.

Error : - % Authorization failed.

I strongly feel this has something to do with the configuration on the router.

There is a possibility of Privileges configured on the router. It can be because of TACACS or RADIUS configuration or AAA model.

I would recommend you to check the configuration which you have pasted. If it can be shared that would help us to commend better.

Regards,

Pravin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco