cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the Four Default Message Store Group "Database" for Xchg2007

alphonsogriffin
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possbile to rename the default four Storage Group folders for Message Store under Xchg2007?

Default Storage Group(s) are as follow:

CAStaff

A - J

K - S

T - Z

2 Replies 2

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

mine are not those names so I would say yes, however the person that installed exchange 07 is not here today so I can not ask what he did.

rlp

Actually, I found the enclosed information on Microsoft's website in tech notes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998926(EXCHG.80).aspx

It seems not possible to rename the store groups but you can add new/delete/move store groups.

[P.S. my migration is going smooth, this forum is wonderful when sharing resources and knowledge.]

Creating a New Storage Group

You can create a new storage group by clicking New Storage Group in the Mailbox node under Server Configuration in the Exchange Management Console. You can also create a new storage group in the Exchange Management Shell with the New-StorageGroup cmdlet. For more information about creating new storage groups, see How to Create a New Storage Group.

Configuring a Storage Group

You can configure many storage group settings by right-clicking a storage group in the work pane of the Mailbox node under Server Configuration in the Exchange Management Console, and then clicking Properties. You can configure all the settings of a storage group in the Exchange Management Shell with the Set-StorageGroup cmdlet.

Removing a Storage Group

You can remove a storage group by right-clicking the storage group in the work pane of the Mailbox node under Server Configuration in the Exchange Management Console, and then clicking Remove. You can also remove a storage group by using the Remove-StorageGroup cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell. For more information about removing storage groups, see How to Remove a Storage Group.

Moving a Storage Group Path

You can move storage group system and log files by right-clicking the storage group in the work pane of the Mailbox node under Server Configuration in the Exchange Management Console, and then clicking Move Storage Group Path. You can also move the storage group files by using the Move-StorageGroupPath cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell. For more information about removing storage groups, see How to Move a Storage Group Path.

Managing Databases

You can use both the Exchange Management Console and the Exchange Management Shell to configure options for Exchange mailbox databases and public folder databases. However, the Exchange Management Shell offers access to more information and settings than the Exchange Management Console, and makes available the power of scripting. (For more information about scripting, see Scripting with the Exchange Management Shell and Scripts for Managing Public Folders in the Exchange Management Shell.)