Views
Helpful
Replies

DB9 modem to router cabling

rtheobald
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am wondering exactly what cables/adapters work best to connect a DLINK DFM-560e modem (or any modem that has a DB9 adapter, NOT a DB25) to the RJ45 aux port of a 2800 series Cisco router for OOB access. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

rtheobald
Level 1
Level 1

FYI - I see various documentation on the cisco website describing cabling required for connecting modem with DB25. However, I can't find ANYTHING for connecting modem with DB9. Thanks again.

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Several years ago I made my own adapter to connect the aux port on a c1710 with a Global Village modem (used with my first Mac in 1994).

You can but an RJ45 to DB-9 adapter at a local electronic supply store and wire it to your needs.

The attached .pdf file show's the pin-outs I used.

Note that the table shows "both" RJ pins 4 and 5 tied to DB pin 5 (GND), this is NOT an error in the table.

Your aux port is probably the same as mine, but you might want to check the Cisco docs to be sure (i.e.: same signal on same pin).

Good luck.

hennigan
Level 1
Level 1

I've always had to make them.

Option 1: You will need an old-school flat console rollover cable with RJ-45 on both ends and an adapter hood with male DB-9 to RJ45 pinned as follows:

Color RJ-45 DB-9 Function

Blue 1 8 CTS

Orange 2 6 DSR

Black 3 2 RD

Red 4 5 Ground

Green 5 5 (see note) Ground

Yellow 6 3 TD

Brown 7 4 DTR

White 8 7 RTS

Note: both of these connect to ground, strip and solder or slide alongside the seated pin.

Option 2: Use a new-style console cable and a male-male gender-changer for the DB-9. Cut off the RJ-45 from the console cable and crimp a new one on with the pins facing the opposite way (undo the rollover).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: