changing IP address on CallManager 4.1 VS. UC 6.1

Unanswered Question
Jun 12th, 2008

Hey All -

I am in the midst of a UC 6.1 upgrade that has been a bit of a challenge. However, I was asked by the customer today to make an additional change that I am a little stumped about:

They have an existing CallManager 3.3.3 2-server cluster, which is NOW CallManager 4.1.3, after a couple of nights of upgrading to a version compatible with the DMA tool and running the DMA to get a clean backup TAR.

Now, here is the problem:

I have the existing CCMs with PUBLIC IP addressing (yeah, that's right!........DON'T ASK!) and, as you can imagine, the customer is changing to a Private LAN 10.X.X.X subnet on the new UC boxes. However, my dilemma is that the DMA migration REQUIRES that you to the restore onto a new server with the SAME IP address (if I am not on this one?) So, my thought is to change the IP address on the EXISTING 4.1 servers and, then re-run DMA, and do a restore to the ALREADY-BUILT UC boxes with the NEW IP addresses.

Do I change the new UC boxes to the EXISTING IP addresses of the production servers (they're in a "lab" BTW.....) and use the EXISTING DMA TAR file, ...............THEN change the IP addresses BACK?

I guess I could do it either way, but I want to minimize outage time, while, at the same time, assuring the possibility of getting a GOOD DMA TAR file without re-running it a THOUSAND TIMES!

Any thoughts and input are welcome.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Thu, 06/12/2008 - 19:40

you're right in the fact that DMA gets the ip address, but during the upgrade phase you can change the hostname and ip address, a routine will take care of changing the necessary entries when taking the info from the DMA

System Installation and Upgrade for IP Telephony - PDF

We recommend that you do not use backup and restore procedures to perform the prestaged

configuration on the parallel network. In many applications, you are required to use the same

hostname and IP address for the backup and the restore process. This approach can prevent you

from creating a truly parallel network, as two systems cannot exist on the same network with

identical hostnames and IP addresses. However, there are exceptions. For example, when

upgrading a Unified Communications Manager system from IP Communications System Test

4.x release set to Cisco Unified Communications System 6.1(1), the Data Migration Assistant

(DMA) allows you to use a different hostname and IP address when doing the prestaged

configuration on the parallel network.

if this helps, please rate

This Discussion