cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Router

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

I want to get a router for my house. a cisco router im currently using a smothwall router with a d-link n wireless router acting as an access point. I want to do something like this:

Cisco Router -- Smoothwall firewall -- D-link N Router as an AP

I retenlly purchased a 2620XM router and i want to know if this is a good router to do what i want to do... thanks =)

PST: the reason why i want to use cisco in my house is to learn a bit more of it, im currently studing for CCNA

5 Replies 5

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't feel there will be an issue if the newly purchased Cisco 2620 router has a DSL Wic in it. I guess you can very well go with your design.

Regards

Rajesh

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

You can use the setup you suggested, bare in mind however that there are a few things that make using a cisco router on a home network somewhat tedious.

No UPNP support and somewhat complicated to forward a range of ports make it a bit of a pain if you're using it with things like an xbox or playstation (or bittorrent and the like)

I have two internet connections at home and use a 1800 series router for one of them for educating myself, port forwarding is the main issue I have. It's also considerably quicker than the router it replaced...

I'm not totally familar with the XM series 2600 but don't forget that IOS has it's own firewall as well.

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

is it worth to put a cisco router in your house?? i have few consoles ps3 xbox360 and wii also i have two servers, providing mail, ftp, domain, etc services

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

bump!!!!

if you can be bothered dealing with the port forwarding then yes it's pretty good

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card