cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Router

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

I want to get a router for my house. a cisco router im currently using a smothwall router with a d-link n wireless router acting as an access point. I want to do something like this:

Cisco Router -- Smoothwall firewall -- D-link N Router as an AP

I retenlly purchased a 2620XM router and i want to know if this is a good router to do what i want to do... thanks =)

PST: the reason why i want to use cisco in my house is to learn a bit more of it, im currently studing for CCNA

5 Replies 5

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't feel there will be an issue if the newly purchased Cisco 2620 router has a DSL Wic in it. I guess you can very well go with your design.

Regards

Rajesh

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

You can use the setup you suggested, bare in mind however that there are a few things that make using a cisco router on a home network somewhat tedious.

No UPNP support and somewhat complicated to forward a range of ports make it a bit of a pain if you're using it with things like an xbox or playstation (or bittorrent and the like)

I have two internet connections at home and use a 1800 series router for one of them for educating myself, port forwarding is the main issue I have. It's also considerably quicker than the router it replaced...

I'm not totally familar with the XM series 2600 but don't forget that IOS has it's own firewall as well.

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

is it worth to put a cisco router in your house?? i have few consoles ps3 xbox360 and wii also i have two servers, providing mail, ftp, domain, etc services

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

bump!!!!

if you can be bothered dealing with the port forwarding then yes it's pretty good

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card