cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tagging on nortel switches

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I recently had to configure a nortel switch to connect to my 2960, On the interface vlan config, they have tag all option, and an untag pvid only option, which one would I need for my trunk but so it still has a native vlan, would it be the untag pvid only, the pvid being my native vlan ?

4 Replies 4

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Carl,

Which Nortel switch model.

Nortel has JDM (Java device Manager ) are you taking about the option, command line or web interface ?

Regrads,

pravin

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

The tagging and pvid are the terms relating to the IEEE 802.1Q standard. The standard doesnot refer to terms like access or trunk which are more with only cisco.

Here the PVID is used for incoming frames. The in coming untagged frames will be considered to belong to vlan that is configured as pvid. Much like the cisco native vlan. But in the egress direction you specify a vlan as untagged or tagged. The same pvid vlan (native for cisco) can be a tagged vlan in egress direction.

So use pvid as the native vlan that you want to configure, and keep the vlan as untagged so that frames sent on that vlan are untagged in egress.

Regards,

Niranjan.

I understand that but , I want to know what happens if its on a trunk port, how do I make sure the pvid is the native on nortel switches, do I tick the untag pvid only option ?

yes... untag pvid only option should work as expected.

Regards,

Niranjan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card