Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes not recognized by Data Collection

asapowell_1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

whenever I do a change in the hostname or IP of any of my switches, the Data Collection page (and therefore the Topology screen) doesn't recognize the change and displays always the new hostname attached to the old ip. The Device Discovery page shows both, the IP with the old hostname marked as unreachable and the same IP with the new hostname marked as reachable. However, Data Collection only retrieves the old info (corresponding to the unreachable device), never the new. I'm using LMS 2.6 over Solaris 9.

I'm still using LMS 2.2 in another server and it recognizes the changes properly. Maybe I forgot to configure something in the new version or I'm running into a bug.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then you are most likely hitting known bug CSCsj51103. You should upgrade to Common Services 3.0.6 and Campus Manager 4.0.11, then reinitialize your ani database. Afterwards, this problem should go away.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not fair to compare Campus 3.3 to Campus 4.x+. Campus 3.3 combined Discovery and Data Collection into one operation which it simply called Discovery. In Campus 4.0 and higher, these two phases were broken out into two distinct applications.

Discovery will detect changes (i.e. new devices, hostname changes), and populate that info in DCR. Data Collection will only operate on devices that are in DCR.

It sounds like the "new" devices are in DCR, so Data Collection should be picking them up. Check your Data Collection filter settings to make sure the new IP addresses are allowed for Data Collection. Also, what is the exact version of Campus Manager being used?

Yes, the "new" devices (for instance routerA = 110.110.5.5 reachable) and the old ones (routerA = 110.110.5.6 unreachable) are both in DCR. The problem is that Data Collection always takes the old entry for routerA (110.110.5.6) marking it as unreachable, instead of the new IP. I have many cases like this and the number grows as I carry out additional changes in my network. I'm reusing IPs and i don't use filters in Ciscoworks. I think Campus Manager is 4.0.6 since I haven't patched anything after the installation.

Then you are most likely hitting known bug CSCsj51103. You should upgrade to Common Services 3.0.6 and Campus Manager 4.0.11, then reinitialize your ani database. Afterwards, this problem should go away.

Thanks Jclarke. I'm reading the 4.0.11 Readme and this is part of it:

Patches Rolled into Campus Manager 4.0.11

There are no patches, containing fixes to bugs, that have been rolled into Campus Manager 4.0.11

Not sure what that means then but I was assuming 4.0.11 just included support for newer devices?

Scratch that, I read further down on resolved issues.

I have followed your advice but the problem still remains. I have patched up to CS 3.0.6+CM 4.0.10 and then reseted the ani db stopping daemons and using /opt/CSCOpx/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI. This put the number of Data Collection devices to zero. Next I carried out a new discovery and data collection but the info in Data Collection mirrors the old one.

The info in Device Discovery is right but Data Collection doesn't update the devices with the new info. If there are 2 devices in Device Discovery with same name and different IP, Data Collection always retrieve the old one (unreachable) instead of the reachable one . What is most weird is that some old device that is no longer in my network and neither in Device Discovery report is still in Data Collection report. Obviously I guess it was not completely deleted after the reset and it stores this info elsewhere.

What else may I try?

Update: I have also issued the command

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=cmf dmprefix=Cmf and it has properly cleaned the whole database and has made a right data collection. Now i have to check whether later devices changes are recognized or not. I will let you know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: