cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

851w vs 2620XM

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

I want to put a router in my house should i go with the 851w or the 2620XM????? thanks =) or any other suggestions

8 Replies 8

Miguel,

If you only want to use a fastethernet to be a wan interface then 851w is fine for home-use.Cisco 2620XM will provide you WIC slots and a network module.You can add any WAN interfaces in it but you have to separately purchase all of them.

HTH

Thot

for home use will i need any wic??? or module?? beside a switch module that has the 851w included...??

Miguel,

It depends on the media that ISP provides to you in your country. 851w provides you a fastethernet to be a wan interface. Just in case you want to change the media to be ADSL,Lease-Line then cisco 851w router will not give you to do that. Cisco 2620xm will do. That's why cisco 800 series give us many wan types.

HTH

Thot

i have a cable connection of 20Mb/s. with the company bright house they put a litle modem on my house that converts coaxial to ethernet =) hope this helps

Miguel,

If that's currently a wan interface type then cisco 851w is fine to be used.

Thanks for providing the important information

Thot

so in your opinion the 851 will be a better solution than a 2620xm? even though i has less memory?? is there any benefits buying the 2620xm for "home use"

pst: i have 2 servers inside my house...

Miguel,

I think that can handle for 2 servers and 20Mb of the wan link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6195/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Recommended number of users : 10

HTH

Thot

ok thanks 851 it is

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: