cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

851w vs 2620XM

miguelv06
Level 1
Level 1

I want to put a router in my house should i go with the 851w or the 2620XM????? thanks =) or any other suggestions

8 Replies 8

Miguel,

If you only want to use a fastethernet to be a wan interface then 851w is fine for home-use.Cisco 2620XM will provide you WIC slots and a network module.You can add any WAN interfaces in it but you have to separately purchase all of them.

HTH

Thot

for home use will i need any wic??? or module?? beside a switch module that has the 851w included...??

Miguel,

It depends on the media that ISP provides to you in your country. 851w provides you a fastethernet to be a wan interface. Just in case you want to change the media to be ADSL,Lease-Line then cisco 851w router will not give you to do that. Cisco 2620xm will do. That's why cisco 800 series give us many wan types.

HTH

Thot

i have a cable connection of 20Mb/s. with the company bright house they put a litle modem on my house that converts coaxial to ethernet =) hope this helps

Miguel,

If that's currently a wan interface type then cisco 851w is fine to be used.

Thanks for providing the important information

Thot

so in your opinion the 851 will be a better solution than a 2620xm? even though i has less memory?? is there any benefits buying the 2620xm for "home use"

pst: i have 2 servers inside my house...

Miguel,

I think that can handle for 2 servers and 20Mb of the wan link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6195/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Recommended number of users : 10

HTH

Thot

ok thanks 851 it is

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card