Views
Helpful
Replies

AVAYA modular integration with Call Manager and Nortel

kevinparker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am currently working on the integration of a two phone systems with a centralized AVAYA voice mail system.

The AVAYA voice mail system is connected to our Call Manager over 6 QSIG T1's, then I built a QSIG trunk between the Call Manager and the main Nortel switch.

Station-to-station calling works fine as well as a Nortel test phone with voice mail and MWI pointing to the Avaya messaging server.

The issue is the Nortel site is split in two buildings where one has an older Nortel switch model which I believe it's a 2200 or 2300 series that is connected to the main Nortel switch over three ISDN ni2 tie lines(the current software release on this switch does not support QSIG).

At that second location we have a handset with a mail box in AVAYA that when the phone is trying to send the caller to the AVAYA pilot point over the tie lines first then to the AVAYA VM server over the QSIG trunk between the CCM and the Nortel switch, the RDNIS information is getting lost; therefore, VM pilot point does not know how to reach the subscriber and it sends the caller to a general greeting.

We are ordering two additional point-to-point T1's that we could use to connect our facility to the building where the older Nortel switch is.I was wondering if I would create a trunk between that switch and the 3845 gateway using either isdn switch-type ni or DMS-100 and somehow maintain the RDNIS, I could pass that information over the QSIG trunk between CM and AVAYA.

The version of Call Manager is 4.1(3)sr5d; Cisco gateways are 3845 running C3845-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(11)T and the AVAYA voice mail is a modular messaging system version 3.0.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kevin,

I certainly think you could create a connection between the 3845 and the remote Nortel using the new T1's (may need PRI's)and I do know that DMS-100 works (we use this protocol between our Nortel and CCM).

I am also thinking that you might also want to think about using the new PRI's to connect the two Nortel switches instead. This would enable you to continue using your current Dial Plan and I'm guessing Distant Steering Codes on the Nortel.

Just a thought :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

So you are saying that if I use DMS-100 to build the trunk between the 3845 and the Nortel switch that does not support QSIG, I should be able to maintain the RDNIS information and send it over the QSIG trunk between CCM and the AVAYA messaging system, right?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

That's what I'm thinking. I have had a Nortel>Nortel>Avaya setup before using DMS-100 Pri's between the 2 Nortel switches. I also think your original idea will probably work as well :) The only reason I mentioned the alternate config is because it would be far easier to setup. Without actually labbing this up, it is just "thinking out loud".

I would try engaging all 3 vendors (Cisco, Avaya and Nortel) to see if anyone else is running this design and to borrow the parts to try both methods in a test phase.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. I am going to follow your advice and try to get a conference call with all the vendors.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You are most welcome my friend! Let us know how you make out with this new challenge.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: