Views
Helpful
Replies

Management Network Routing

tahalotfi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a management network that has 192.168.148.0/24 IP range. Also I use 192.168.148.0/24 (braked to small subnets) for L3 p2p connections. I use eigrp (AS 1) for routing these addresses.

For routing between the other networks I use static routes. I am going to remove static routes and use a routing protocol.

My first question is should I use the same AS number 1 for this purpose? Or should I use a separate AS number?

The second question is, should the management network be reachable from the other networks or VLANs?

Thanks,

Taha

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Taha, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

If EIGRP AS 1 is used for routing between CE and the Service Provider PE means,

the its recommended to use different AS Number for routing with other locations. In other way, its advisable to use different routing protocol like OSPF / BGP to work other locations. Later redistribution will help to exchange the Routes in a better way.

What you are trying to acheive using the Management Network ?

If you are going to manage the available & remote Network using SNMP Polling, Cisco Works / HP-Open View Monitoring etc, NTP Server, TACACS+ Server, etc., Network Management Activities means,

the Management Network should be recheable from remote Networks also.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

AS 1 is not used for routing between CE and PE.

I explain more about the Management Network:

We have different networks that are connecting via L3 point to point connections. To manage the whole network, as you said, using SNMP, CiscoWorks etc, I have used one loopbak interface on each network device. The loopback interfaces ip addresses are in the range 192.168.149.0/24. I use EIGRP AS 1 to route this Management Network across the whole LAN.

Should I use the same AS for routing other networks?

If we have, for example 2 VLANs for users and servers, should this Management Network be accessible from these VLANs?

Thanks,

Taha

HI Taha, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Answer to your question is:

Normally the Management Network are used by the IT Team for Administration. So, for a security concern to allow the Management Network 192.168.149.0/24 only accessible for the IT Network Administration Team.

If you are going to Manage the Server Area use the same Network Segment using a Network Management Port of SERVER [as in Dell / HP Servers] means the route recheability is necessary.

It is advisable not to use the same AS Number for routing the other Network. Eitherway you can redistribute the Management Network by attaching some Routing Policies / Filters based on the requirement.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R