Which CCVP path for someone without 4.1 or 6.0 experience

Unanswered Question
Jun 13th, 2008

I am starting the CCVP certification course and am wondering which is the best CIPT path to take (v4.1 or v6).

My networking background is ICT infrastructure networks (data, LAN and WAN) in state and national networks consisting of head office, branch and remote offices. I support networks with over 100 WAN connected sites. Therefore I may need to consider the appropriate and suitable product and path.

I don't have any experience in Cisco VoIP or any UCM to date.

Call Manager 4.1 has EOL statements issued already but Communications Manager 6 doesnt have an EOL and appears to be the newer product with more collaboration features.

Could someone advise please?

Kind regards and thanks,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Sat, 06/14/2008 - 05:57

Hi Paul,

If you are just starting down this path then I think that the v6 route is really the way to go :) As you nicely noted, Communications Manager 4.x has been announced as EoL and almost all new deployments are using the 6.x train. The differences between the two versions are so vast that it's almost like two seperate products, so going with the much newer one is the prudent choice in my opinion.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with all your studies.

jrensink78 Sat, 06/14/2008 - 08:40

Agreed. Our Cisco vendor says that 6.x is pretty much all that they are implementing now. So v6 is the way to go in terms of studying (unless you are currently working on a 4.x implementation that you have no intention of upgrading in the next year or 2).

My rule of thumb is usually, certify on the newest version available unless there is a very strong reason not to.

Good luck!

This Discussion