Views
Helpful
Replies

6.x Upgrade

andrewp
Level 1
Level 1

6.x Upgrade

When upgrading to a version that requires a specific previous version do you have to upgrade the inactive partition to the required previous version first?

Case in point:

Partition Versions

Active Version 6.1.2.1000-13

Inactive Version 6.1.1.2000-3

Downloaded an engineering patch that indicates the following in the readme file:

“This patch can be applied ONLY on 6.1.2/2.1.2 or higher, it is a partial install file.”

Question: Can I go ahead and upgrade the inactive partition (version) with the engineering patch or do I have to upgrade to version 6.1.2.1000-13 first?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ok, simple answer:

always take into consideration the ACTIVE version

the data from ACTIVE is used to create the new version in the INACTIVE, not that the data or version from INACTIVE is going to be used for the upgrade or patch

hope that is clear enough, it does not matter what you have in inactive

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Why do you want to upgrade the inactive partition?

IF you want to upgrade the inactive partition version, you will have to reboot to that installation first and then apply the patch

But looks like your patch can only applied to the version 6.1.2.1000-13 (current active version).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

andrewp
Level 1
Level 1

Good point. I am new to 6.x and assumed that the upgrade was applied to the inactive partition in order to leave the active partition as is.

I started the upgrade before I posted the question. After the upgrade completed without a reboot the version info is indicated as listed below. That would imply that the upgrade was applied to the inactive version that was “Inactive Version 6.1.1.2000-3“ before the upgrade. Just trying to understand how the upgrade process works.

Partition/Version info before upgrade

Inactive Version 6.1.1.2000-3

Partition/Version info after upgrade without a reboot

Inactive Version 6.1.2.1102-1

Andrew. You are right. I got a little confused when you first mentioned that you wanted to upgrade the inactive partition.

When a patch is applied to a fresh install, no inactive version exists, so it use the inactive partition to upgrade a copy of the active version

When a patch is applied to a system that already went through one upgrade previously , an active and inactive version exists. The patch will be applied to the inactive partition in this case. Hence the so called results you got here.

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks for the clarification. In that case I am curious about of the result of the upgrade I just performed. The readme for the patch indicated that “This patch can be applied ONLY on 6.1.2/2.1.2 or higher, it is a partial install file.” However, the version I had on the inactive partition before applying the patch was 6.1.1.2000-3.

The upgrade competed; however, I am not comfortable with rebooting to the new version at this point.

Can you post the name of the upgrade file here?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

UCSInstall_UCOS_ES_6.1.2.1102-1.sgn.iso

when you do a fresh install, there are 2 partitions. active which is the one on which the CUCM is running and the inactive on which there is nothing a that point but it's already allocated. when you go to the OS is does not show as an option to swap due to that

ANY patch, SR or ES install process is done in the inactive. you do not get to choose whether you want to or not to use the inactive partition.

for any upgrade, patch or ES you look for the version of the ACTIVE version. if you have 6.1(2) install patches for that version.

ES/SRs can be installed during the fresh install and not only when the server is already installed. you are asked if you want to install a patch when going thru the install process.

until you do not swap partitions you will run on the version you have been running so far and won't get any benefits from the ES. also any changes made after the ES install won't be on the inactive partition so when you swap partitions you will need to do them over again. that's why after the install you need to swap partitions

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Thanks for your response. I am still unclear about the version requirements for upgrades as it applies to the current version on the inactive partion. Let me try and more clearly outline my concern.

1) The readme file indicated that the patch can be applied ONLY on 6.1.2/2.1.2 or higher.

2) Based on your response this patch will be installed to the inactive partition.

3) The version on my inactive partition was 6.1.1.2000-3

4) If all upgrades and patches are applied to the file system on the inactive partition/version, does that not imply that the version on my inactive partition does not qualify to be upgraded to the new patch version?

ok, simple answer:

always take into consideration the ACTIVE version

the data from ACTIVE is used to create the new version in the INACTIVE, not that the data or version from INACTIVE is going to be used for the upgrade or patch

hope that is clear enough, it does not matter what you have in inactive

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Great. Thank you very much. That is the answer I was looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: