cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix Placement

munawar.zeeshan
Level 1
Level 1

My GW router is getting many IP spoofing and other attempts.My internet traffic suddenly goes up without any reason.

To tackle with i have get a pix 501.What must be the physical placement of the firewall. Should i place it behind my internet router (b/w internet router and LAN) or even before internet router to avoid unwanted traffic ?

4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

behind your internet router. by default the PIX will block any inbound connection and permit ip outbound.

internet GW --- PIX501-----LAN

Francisco

Ok..

My internet bandwidth is being dropped on my router. if i use pix behind the router can i stop the illegal b/w usage ?

Please also qoute some idea of pix and router optimization config to avoid and save bandwidth usage

THANKS

munawar,

firstly, you will need to find out what is utilizing your internet bandwidth before you can stop.

In addition to Francisco's post, you may need to do additional filtering in your router facing ISP/Internet, even by placing firewall it is recommended to implement some additional security in your edge router.

Go over this link which provides anti-spoofing acls .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a00801afc76.shtml

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: