Views
Helpful
Replies

18 Catalyst 3560 baseline question

cauley.shane
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to design a monthly baseline strategy for our 18 3560 switches. We would like to monitor traffic, config changes, dropped packets. Does anyone have any recommendation of the best way to achieve this would be?

thank you for any help you can offer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As glen said i would say solarwinds is one of the best tool for monitoring all what you have listed. It also have lot of other hepful tools which can be used.

MRTG is a free tool and also can be used for monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Regrads,

Pravin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will need some type of network monitoring tools in order to achieve this. Solarwinds makes a good line of tools . Cisco has ciscoworks which I have never been impresssed with.

hennigan
Level 1
Level 1

Consider intermapper for traffic, errors, etc monitoring and graphing. http://dartware.com/network_monitoring_products/intermapper/index.html

Free for small systems, nominal license for larger systems.

MRTG and its variants (routers2, cacti) are free open source but not as comprehensive and a bit trickier to install.

For configuration changes, RANCID.

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

All of these tools perform best on UNIX/Linux/OSX but can be implemented on Windows if you must.

As glen said i would say solarwinds is one of the best tool for monitoring all what you have listed. It also have lot of other hepful tools which can be used.

MRTG is a free tool and also can be used for monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Regrads,

Pravin

Glen,

Thanks for you help. I decided to use MRTG to export the snmp information and Kiwi syslog to dump the info the solarwinds software.

Shane Cauley

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card