cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which modules go in which slots in 6509E?

craigvoice
Level 1
Level 1

It appears that in a 6509E there are 3 different backplane slots therefore certain modules can only go in certain slots. Is there a tool that will tell you which modules go in which slots? I have a SUP720, 10GE module, and FWSM.

2 Replies 2

Justin Brenton
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Craigvoice,

This link will detail what module's are supported in the 6509E.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps5138/product_data_sheet09186a00800ff916_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

• Content services gateway

• CSM

• Firewall module

• IDS module

• IP Security (IPSec) VPN module

• Network analysis module

• Persistent storage device

• SSL module

• Wireless LAN services module

HTH, Please Vote.

Regards,

Justin Brenton

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Craig

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 different backplane slots, as i am only aware of 2 ie.

1) the classic shared 32Gbps bus

2) The Crossbar switch fabric.

Some modules such as the 10GE modules have 2 connections on them but they are still both connecting into the crossbar fabric.

To answer your question. The Supervisor 720 must go in slot 5 and the redundant supervisor (if you have one) in slot 6. After that with the 6509E you can put your other modules in any available slot.

Some chassis do have limitations such as the 6513 where any module with dual connections, such as the 10GE modules, have to go in slot 9 - 13 because only these slots provide dual connections to the switch fabric. But there are no such limitations with the 6509E.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card