Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 & Message notification not working issue

julianunderwood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

So I'm setting up this UC520 and it is pretty much all default out of the box. If you leave a voice message for one of the users there is no indication on the phone that voice mail is waiting for the individual.

So I log into CME on the phone: Go into Message Settings/Message Notifications. When I click here it says: "Error: Message Notification is Currently disabled."

The box comes with 128MB of flash and as far as I can tell CUE is not loaded--I don't think it will even fit on a flash of that size.

Couple of questions: do I need CUE to get message notifications working, if so, do I need to upgrade my flash?

If I don't need CUE for this feature, is there a way to get this feature to work otherwise?

Many thanks and regards,

Julian

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, if you have an UC520, yes you have CUE, else where would you leave messages. For MWI (notification is actually something else) to work, there are three possible configs:

Unsolicited notify - I use that and is recommended, just configure the mw server address under sip-ua.

Subscribed notify - similar but personally never used.

MWI on-off call-out, this one seems to be the older standard, you configure two ephones-dn with number 8000 and 8001, examples are in the CUE manual and CME aslo.

And in the CUE you configure which MWI setting you used on CME.

Note, Message notification is when the CUE tries to reach a phone, pager or text message to tell that you have messages waiting in VM.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi, I'm very new to the UC500 series and Cisco IP voice telephony in general and I appreciate your response.

I'm not sure how to access CUE administration? I've tried going to the IP of the Intergrated Service Engine (http and telnet) and it seems to just take me to the router config mode. Maybe you could shed some light on this.

I will try Unsolicited notify, but what would I set the mw server address to--an IP on the UC520?

Thanks,

Julian

Hi, on CCO read about "using IOS CLI" for the the basic, for proper configuration you need to use CLI all the time with the CME, but not with the CUE usually.

Once you can do even a little of CLI, ffor MWI server use the CUE address that is configured under sevice-module.

You may want to read a bit of the CME SNRD to really understand things around with your new system. It does everything but you must be able to configure it, else if you don;t feel like you can always hire a professional.

I'm comfortable with IOS CLI.

The problem is I don't think CUE is installed, because I can't get to it via the Service-Module address, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know what "getting to it" actually is!

Could you tell me how I can tell if CUE is installed?

Thanks,

Julian

Show diag will tell. You do "service-module serv x/y session" to connect.

If you receive an error message, the addresses on the service module are set wrong and/or the static host route to CUE is not set right. I found convenient to give the cue an address immediately below CME that is topmost in the ephones VLAN. All these things are explained in the manuals however feel free to ask on something.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: