Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 857 Site to Site VPN and VPN Server running together

cco4mike1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have managed to successfully implement a Site to Site VPN connection as done by my team on a daily basis however I'm not sure if I can run the unit as a VPN server(concentrator) at the same time because whenever I apply the 'Crypto map <mapname>' command to the end of the 'Dialer 0' interface , the original site-to-site "crypto map <mapname>" command gets overwritten and it look like I can only have the 857 running as either a site-to-site VPN 'OR' a VPN concentrator for remote clients, but not both.

Can someone please help me determine if I am able have a concurrent setup like this on the Cisco 857w

I've tried it with SDM as well and it seems to not allow me to add the VPN concentrator functionally to the same interface (ie..dialer 0) that the site-to-site VPN is using.

Perhaps I need to use Dialer 1 or Tunnel 0 to achieve this, but really I don't have an idea at this stage.

thankyou.

2 Replies 2

yayasolenet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Those 2 are definately compatible. I configure both on 800series router all the time.

1 interface only can have 1 crypto map. But for VPN server, you do not need to issue crypto map command. It use virtual template interface to define the tunnel.

I am using SDM to configure most of the time. For VPN server, I normally choose ip unnumbered to dialer 0. It let me choose vlan1 or dialer0. Basically there is no difference. It just shows the vpn termination.

Cheers,

Thanks very much, with your suggestion, it appears to be working now.

I've created a 'loopback 0' interface and then in the 'Virtual template interface' added ip unnumbered to loopback0

Both the site to site tunnel and the VPN Server are working ok!

Thanks again.