cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to merge two different port on catalyst 4006 as single port?

jawad.sharaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a server computer in my office with two different network cards in it, each card is 1 gigbit and connect to two different ports on cisco catalyst 4006 switch.

How can I merge or channel these two different ports as single port to boost the network speed to 2gb on my computer server? Do I have to run some set of command on switch to make it work?

Please Help.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi!

You can bundle 2 ports logically in 4006 using features like etherchannel / Pagp . But i dont think it will work on the server side. How will you logically bundle 2 NICs on the server to act as 1 port? If you can do that, then it is possible.

Regards,

Niranjan

Jawad,

First of all,You need to make teaming on both the interfaces on the server side.Which mode do you want to use? Active-Active or Active-Standby.

Server side :Active-Active - You need to configure the switch side to be a etherchannel/LACP. It can be done by the commands on the cisco 4006.

Server side :Active-Standby - You need nothing to do at the switch side.

Note: Seems PAGP is a proprietary of cisco. Server shouldn't know that. To be bound with mode "on" of "lacp" should be fine. It depends on the server side as well.

HTH

Thot

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will try etherchannel/LACP and see if its works.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card