Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 redundancy and balancing

higherorbit
Level 1
Level 1

G'day

One of my clients is looking for a redundancy/load balancing solution for their HQ (only 15 users, but many remote sites/connections anticipated in the near future).

We have 2x ADSL lines already set up (with basic routers) and looking for a system to:

- primary line: direct all SMTP/POP3/VPN traffic over one line (higher upstream bandwidth)

- secondary line: direct all http, ftp, and other client based applications.

Not too fussed if the primary line goes down, as I'm pretty sure we would encounter issues related to spam prevention if our mail server IP suddenly changed, however if the secondary line goes down would like to revert all traffic to the primary line and throttle it so it doesn't overload. Email comms is highest priority, so must try to ensure that as much mail can flow as possible.

We're looking at a 1811 to do this - am I in the right direction?

And - if we do divert SMTP to the secondary line, does anyone see any potential problems?

Cheers

Steve

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Steve-

The platform is OK. More and more ISPs are doing reverse lookups on received email so failing over email to the other circuit may not work as expected.

Hope that helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card