Views
Helpful
Replies

Ingress and Egress policing on 6500

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have interent customer with diff BW ( 1M, 2M, 3M) and want to policy ingress and egress both either on interface or on vlan.

I read that sup1/Sup2 doesnt support egress policy.

What is best way to have ingress and egress policy for Sup1/Sup2 based 6500 runnign with Native IOS ?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Chintan.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PFC QoS is quite limited in the QoS offering. I recommend researching WAN modules for this box (FlexWAN/SIP).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#wan

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for the infon on FlexWAN card. But I already have GE LAN card and Internet customers are running with Qos policy configured using "rate-limit input" & "rate-limit output". Do I have any other option here for Sup1A/Sup2 with PFC/PFC2 ?

I also have Sup720/PFC3 based MLS and there I'm planning to have as below:

policy-map -Policing

class class-default

police

: this is the bandwidth (Bps) purchased by the customer.

Proposed one for L3 Interface

interface GigabitEthernet

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

service-policy input -Policing

service-policy output -Policing

Proposed one for L2 interface (L3 VLAN) for each customer

Interface GigabitEthernet

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan A,B,C

mls qos vlan-based

Interface vlan A/B/C

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

service-policy input -Policing

service-policy output -Policing

Do you see any issue/known issue with this ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chintan

If you aren't concerned about excess traffic being dropped, then policing QoS mechanism will meet your needs.

Keep in mind, certain type of traffic behaves differently when dropped (i.e. TCP). It tends to retransmit the packet hence causing more congestion in the network. You can alleviate this behavior by configuring WRED.

For more information on PFC QoS, please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1547950

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco