cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Switch Recommendation

network_team
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I wish to setup a site to site connection using a layer 2 network. Can you recommend the type of cisco swithc i need for this. I require the following setup:

Layer 2 site to site Vlans

QOS

Routing

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not a layer 2 switch if you need routing capabilities also . If strictly layer 2 then it could be a 2960 , if layer 3 is needed then the cheapest thing will be a cisco 3560 switch.

Ibbywannit
Level 1
Level 1

You could also use a 3550, it's about a quarter of the price of a 3560 and will still allow you to run Layer 3 routing if you have an enhanced image running.

Hi,

Please note that WS-C3550-24-DC-SMI is the only switch model available under 3550 series switch rest all the models are EOS.

-> Sushil

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

When you said "Routing" I assumed you meant routing between VLANs to you want trunked across the L2 link?

As far as switch goes, most of them have a rather basic QoS features, especially the low end ones. The only fixed configuration switch that I know have pretty comprehensive QoS features is Catalyst 3750ME. I'm not sure how 3750ME is priced compared to, say, a 3845 with switching blade.

If all you want is fairly basic QoS, for instance, just have 1 priority queue for voice and 1-2 data queue, then you can pick any of the newer layer-3 switch models (from 3560 upwards). But if you want hierarchical QoS... your option is limited (depending on your budget).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card