Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i connect cisco ip phone 7940 series with normal telephone line

johnindira
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I purached cisco ip phone 7940 series, which i would like to use the phone at my home , can it support normal telephone line .? i mean the normal telephone line has RJ11 which i coundn't find at the backside of the Cisco IP Phone. could any help on this how can use the CISCO ip phone at home,

Your replys highly apperciated,

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Johnson.

10 Replies 10

nowcommsupport
Level 1
Level 1

I don't believe it's possible to use it in this manner. The phone always needs a connection to CallManager anyway, so the only way to use it at home is to have a CallManager there, or a homeworker solution such as an 877 router with a VPN connection back to your central site where the CUCM is.

Mike.

i would believe the fact that it's says IP PHONE would be more than enough to make it clear it's to be used on IP networks, that's why we have analog interfaces (FXS/FXO/VG224/VG248) to connect analog phones to the CUCM system

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Mike,

Bunch of thanks for your reply..:)

what is CallManager.?

Hi friend,

Here you have two links. One is to access a list of Cisco CallManager data sheets. The other is for Cisco CallManager Express.

CallManager is the big solution for large IP Telephony deployments. CallManager Express is for small-to-medium IP Telephony deployments. You can read them and know what it is.

CallManager:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_data_sheets_list.html

CallManager Express:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_data_sheets_list.html

Regards,

- adrián.

its a box that does all kinda stuff to make phones work. It's actually quite good at what it does.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi,

I am having call manager 8.0 and 7942 ip phone at office, and i want to use this phone from my house to connect to my call manager. can you guide me how to do this

Run a permanent VPN from your home into your office. this will work

I am having call manager 8.0 with cisco 2900 voice gateway, cisco mcs 7800(subscriber & publisher). cyberoam CR300ING firewall.

It is configured for one location with private IP, it wont have outside access. Now i want to configure 7942 ip phone to use it at home.

so please guide me how to configure it. and what are the additional hardware required for this configuration.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

John, 

you bought the wrong phone, you need an analog phone.  

But if you insist. Get Cisco Voicegateway, with an FXO port running Call Manager express, connect your homeline into the RJ11, FXO port and register your 7940 with Call Manager Express. It is that easy!

Hi Dennis,

I'mstudying for CCNA Voice using a home-lab (Cisco router 2811 - CME 8.6 connected to Catalyst 3550 series. Two identical IP phone 7940 are connected to the switch. WHEN booting one connects successfullybut the other one displays "TFTP file not found". When I switched the cables, the problem still exists while and the good one can connect. I configured everything using a lab book I have.

I suspect the problem is with the phone but not sure. Can you help me please. I'm stuck here.

Thank you,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: