cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack loss of console/telnet, but still running

drumrb0y
Level 1
Level 1

This morning, we lost the ability to access our 3750 stack via *any* means - telnet, ssh, console access are all dead. The master of the stack has also moved from #1 to #4(the bottom)

However, the stack continues to operate normally and we're going to attempt to reboot the stack during an off-hours time to see if this fixes the problem.

Any theories as to a possible cause?

Thanks,

Marc

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once you regain ability to get to the stack I would check to see if the switch priority was ever set for the stackmaster . IT shouldn't change on its own if this was done. Priority should be 15 for the stackmaster and backup should be 14 or a number lower than 15 . The stackmaster could have rebooted itself and thus a different switch became stackmaster. Look for bugs for the version you are running.

I think these were set; I can verify later.

Even so, if the stack master were to change, that shouldn't disable telnet, ssh or even console; losing console access, to me, is a clear indicator of software error - we just don't want to reboot the stack in the middle of a business day to find out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card