Views
Helpful
Replies

Cascading layer 2 switches

jouellet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a campus designed network that have a core level: 10720 routers on a ring topology, a distribution level: 3750 switches with ip routing, and an access level: 2950,2960,3550 POE and 3560 POE layer 2 switches. I want to know how many switches can I link together on my access layer. What is the maximum level that I can cascade layer 2 switches: 2,3 or more?

i.e distribution 3750----2960---2960---and so on.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Stringing switches along like that is against Best Practices because it generally creates a massive bottleneck (all that downstream bandwidth aggregating and trying to squeeze out of the top switch's egress) and frequently creates a chain of single-point(s)-of-failure (regardless of Layer 2 or Layer 3 architecture).

It's just not a good idea; avoid it at all costs.

Good Luck

Scott

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Scott stated, don't (over) do it! Two is the most I would recommend. You may have to manipulate spanning tree too, so it may also depend on your knowledge level.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card