cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAC Framework vs NAC Appliance??? Cisco says, Appliance is 'easier'...

jasonhumes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

So I've recently been told by Cisco that I shouldn't be deploying the NAC framework and that they REALLY suggest the appliance instead. Can anyone provide me with some REAL reasons why I'd want to purchase more hardware from Cisco when I've already got all the necessary pieces for the Framework deployed on my network. Cisco, at this point, has not given me a good reason other than, the appliance is easier to deploy...and to me, that is a highly subjective statement. Please help. Thanks

Jason

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jason-

Cisco tried to sell us the appliance too and we said the same thing, why? They are in business to sell :-) The one reason I can think of is the deployment would be much faster. We're going with the framework BTW.

Hope that helps.

Jason,

From my experience the appliances are the way to go. It is just like Colin said, the deployment is much easier. What's more the testing is much easier. For instance, in a typical out-of-band solution for a wired network you could test your configuration on a single port on a single switch. This is much less invasive than the NAC framework and much easier to tune.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card