Unanswered Question
Jun 16th, 2008

I just passed my BSCI exam today. I'm now preparing for next one. Am yet to decide between ONT or ISCW as my next target.I want to leave the switching for last.

Any recommendations in terms of study materials?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bryan.skelton Mon, 06/16/2008 - 13:31

Congrats!! It must be nice to get the ball rolling and have one knocked out. I'm scheduled for next week.

As for study material, I would recommend the Authorized self study guides. I have both the Exam cert guides and the BSCI Self study and the Self Study is a far better choice in my opnion.

Good luck to you.

steven2000 Tue, 06/17/2008 - 00:42

Hi bryan

Thanks. I've the Authorised Self study and CBT nuggets for both ISCW and ONT.I wanted to know the other options.

I will start with what i have.I hope to write one in 2 months time.

All the best in you exams next week.

MarioIseli Mon, 06/16/2008 - 14:24

Congratulations... I'll have my exam in about 12 hours... I also think that I'm not prepared very well since I just read the "exam prep" book and did some hands-on work. In case that I fail (which I will probably) I will buy the study-guide too. ;-)

But failing isn't that bad at the moment due to the "Cisco comeback promotion", anyway, also hold me your thumbs...

steven2000 Tue, 06/17/2008 - 00:35

Hi Mario

Thanks. I didnt use the exam prep but study guide and other books.

if you did alot of labs then you wont have problems with the sim questions.

My advice (I hope its not too late) is when you go to write, dont think about failing because will you definitely fail, lose hope when things get tough.Believe in yo self.

If you are not ready, please reschedule.

All the best

MarioIseli Tue, 06/17/2008 - 07:23

Heya... :-)

Ok, I think I wasn't very well prepared and thaught the whole exam that I will fail. Anyway, I reached 866 points, 790 were necessary. I'm happy...

Regards and thanks...

steven2000 Tue, 06/17/2008 - 10:45

Thats wonderful, congrats. keep up with the spirit.I hope you will go for the next one while you are still in the top gear mode.

All the best in your future exams

321sandun Tue, 06/17/2008 - 05:10

Congratulation Friend,

I am also follwing BCMSN module and willing to complete CCDP and my first target is CCSP.

Very good course materials are avilable with cisco press for BCMSN and as I felt it is enough if you use a good simulator or if your working place gives you necessary practical exposure.the switching part is very interesting and very usefull if you connect with a company having a Campus LAN design.

Can you pls give me the follwing information,

1)what is the cost of exam(In dollars) for a single module of CCNP or CCSP.

2)Is there any problem of knowing some one else my cisco ID?

santiago.enciso Tue, 06/17/2008 - 14:34

Hello Steven i'm currently preparing for BSCI and i'm reading from ciscopress certification guide and self study fuide too. Any comments about the exman? I also arranged a lab with the complete hardware at office as stated in the books, i think this is very helpful. What about IS-IS questions? and the sim were difficult? any information is welcome.

Santiago E

steven2000 Tue, 06/17/2008 - 22:41

hi Santiago

I cant say much about the contents of the exam due to the cisco rules. I can only say that my exam covered all the topics under BSCI i.e EIGRP, OSPF , ISIS etc.

About the Sim questions the were fair,if you practice the labs on each topic covered by BSCI, you should be able to answer the sims questions without problems.

The other thing I would advice you is answering speed, give yourself a time frame and try to answer as many question as can (and geting them correct).That training helped me to finish my exams with 15 minutes remaining on the clock.

When you are answering questions whether from the cisco press or self study guide, dont always believe the answers they give, if you get it wrong, I would suggest that you read through that topic just to be sure b'coz same of the answers are wrong.

I hope my advice is worth same thing.

please rate

jlhainy Thu, 06/19/2008 - 13:47

way to go! As far as to what to take next, that really depends on what you want to take on next. After the BSCI, I wanted to deal with an easier test, so I did BCMSN. I only say that is easier because that is where the bulk of my experience is in is switching.

I am currently studying for ISCW so if you are interested in pairing up, let me know. I have some security experience so that seemed like the next way to go for me.

ccnp_seeker Fri, 06/20/2008 - 07:50

I'm also starting to study for the ISCW. I have the exam certificaction guide and also I'm planning to use the CCIE Routing and Switching Certificacion Guide for some topics...

steven2000 Sat, 06/21/2008 - 12:09

i have decide to study the ISCW becoz of the security part of it eg VPNs IPsec etc. I am preparing for some upcoming projects which will involve securing networks. I do less switching so I plan to study BCMSN last.

I wouldnt mind an online study group. I know I can gain alot from your experience and also from the group.

This Discussion