cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs in Wireless

descalante2007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with 3 VLANs 192.168.72.X (Native), 192.168.100.X (Voice), 200.15.110.X (Data). Voice is based on CME running on a 2851 router. I have one WLC 2106 and 5 AP 1242. There are 6 switches Catalyst 520. I can't find what I'm doing wrong; although I have the voice running with several 7921 phones, they are being registered through native Vlan (192.168.72.X), while the Data WLAN (200) does not provide IP addresses. A ping from WLC to router is unsucessful.

Currently I have only the first port in the WLC attached to a switch port which is defined with Role : Other, Access VLAN 1. I had read several documents, I am not clear about the proper setup for all the devices involved. Attached is my WLC configuration.

Thanks in advance

Daniel Escalante

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerome and Daniel,

Are you both aware that you can get to the CLI on a 520. I have one at home. Use the command below to access the cli and then config the ports as you wish.

http:///exec

I had to configure my ports for trunking as well in my lab.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Daniel,

On the switch, the port to your controller should be in trunk mode as you have several VLAN tags, is it the case?

Also, do you use different WLANs (SSIDs) for each network? Is each WLAN mapped to a different VLAN ("interface" on the controller)?

Tx

jerome

It sounds like all of your traffic is exiting via the management interface. Configure a dynamic interface for each vlan. Attach the appropriate SSID to the dynamic interface created and viola you should be working. That is if all the ports are trunked properly on your closet switches and the switch the 2106 attaches to.

oops my bad. I just looked at your configuration. Make sure that all traffic exits from one port. You have all 3 vlans exiting from 3 different ports on the 2106. Have it all exit from port 1 and trunk that physical port on the connecting switch. Make sure you have dhcp on each vlan if required by your client devices.

Thank you. I had already modify config to have all vlans exiting through port 1. Please see my reply to jeromehenry above. I think the switch is not allowing to be set properly ...

Daniel Escalante

Exactly, I have three VLANs. At this time I just have only two SSIDs, one for voice VLAN (paasa) and one for data network (paasa-datos), no SSID is defined for management (native) VLAN.

I think there is a problem with the link between the switch (Catalyst 520G) and the controller, because the 520G appears to not be enough flexible. I can't define the port exactly as trunk mode, it is only defined with a role as OTHER, SWITCH, WIRELESS AP, DESKTOP, etc. I had have it set as OTHER, today I changed to SWITCH just for test, the APs and phones appear to not be affected but now I can't get access to manage the WLC. I will try to get more information using debug commands, but really I'm not sure what to search for.

Thanks.

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

Looking at the documentation of the 520, I don't see how ports, apart from the "uplinks", can be turned to trunk mode... would be worth trying to hook your 2106 to another type of switch to check if the issue comes from the switch config or the controller.

Jerome and Daniel,

Are you both aware that you can get to the CLI on a 520. I have one at home. Use the command below to access the cli and then config the ports as you wish.

http:///exec

I had to configure my ports for trunking as well in my lab.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card