cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure remote ping and set thresholds

b.hofmann
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure on a router or a switch an ping which pings every perhaps 10 seconds a target device and writes the response time in a mib variable? And can i set a threshold for this, that the device sends a trap, if the response time exceeds a limit.

How can i configure this? Do i config it with CLI or with snmpset? We have running HPOV and would be informed, if the ping takes to long.

14 Replies 14

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I do it with IP SLA, then graph it with the IPSLA MIB.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipsla/command/reference/sla_book.html

Hope that helps.

Can you please send me the basic steps from a router, where you have configured it?

I want to ping a remote address every minute and it should run forever. If possible I want to create an threshold and get a trap it this threshold is exceeded. Or i can collect the data with HPOpenview, and compute it there. But i cannot find a IPSLA mib. Or what is the correct name for this mib.

An other question is, i have configured rtr on a router, and collect the data over the ping mib. But i unsure of the collected data, because i get data, which seems to be good, but sometimes they have the value 0, which is not in the range of the other values, because the data normally are between 7 and 16 milliseconds.

Thank you

I make a mistake,

i download the latest mib files from cisco, there is a SLAMIB available. But we are only using router with software 12.2, so i find only the rtr command.

I configurd the following:

rtr 1005

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1 source-ipaddr 2.2.2.2

threshold 10

timeout 200

rtr schedule 1005 life forever start-time now

How can i read the results, i would collect the values with HPOpenview. What mibs are ther e neccessary. With the IPSLA mib i get no values.

Thank you

It looks like its found under the CISCO-CLASS-BASED-QOS-MIB which is supported in 12.2. The CISCO-CLASS-BASED-QOS-MIB requirements can be found here http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-CLASS-BASED-QOS-MIB

Hope that helps

Hello,

i didnot get any values, when i do a snmpwalk in this mib. But i get some values in the ciscoRttMonMIB. I see rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime, wher are values between 4 and 8. But every hour or so, I see a value 0, which I think is not really possible. Could this be the correct mib, or is it not possible.

That sounds right. I just checked mine (HTTP GET) and its OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.2.10.1.1.11. I've never found a good way to correlate the RTT data with the OID. I usually do a SNMP Walk and view the raw stats on the router at the same time and whittle it down until I find the OID that matches the the value. I've never IPSLA ICMP, but a zero value does sound fishy, double check the OID.

I have done an snmpwalk and a grep for the value 12345, i didnot find something. Then i configure a rtr 12345 on the router, and did again a snmpwalk and a grep for 12345, and find only this 12345 in the rttmonmib. But the names which returns are not very helpful. What do you think is the meaning of rttMonLatestRttOperComletionTime? This is the only variable which is near the normal ping times, i mean between 3 and 10 milliseconds.

That's the OID you want. The router will append a number on the end though. For example mine has .10 for the DNS query and .11 for the HTTP GET.

In my router I did this-

3845-1#sh ip sla monitor statistics 10

Round trip time (RTT) Index 10

Latest RTT: 12 ms

Latest operation start time: 08:22:14.389 CDT Thu Jun 19 2008

Latest operation return code: OK

Number of successes: 40

Number of failures: 0

Operation time to live: Forever

Then I SNMPWalked and got the following-

CISCO-RTTMON-MIB rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime.10 12

CISCO-RTTMON-MIB rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime.11 24

This helps me very much.

I have done a sh rtr operational-state, and see the same values, which are in the snmpwalk. But have you any idea, why is sometime the value 0.

Perhaps i do the query in the same moment, when the measure is started. But how can i correct this problem?

What exactly is your SLA config?

This is configured on the router:

rtr 1005

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1 source-ipaddr 2.2.2.2

threshold 10

timeout 200

rtr schedule 1005 life forever start-time now

what version of IOS? I'll load it on lab router and see what I get.

I just set it up and the OID is rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime.1 with the last 1 being the SLA entry number. It is accurate. I'll graph it for awhile and see if I get any zeros. I am running 12.4(15)T1. The graph is showing zeros (until I fixed it to graph for msec instead of sec), but the numbers match.

This is the version from the router:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-PK9SV-M), Version 12.2(18)SXD7b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 08-Dec-06 12:51 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x4002100C, data-base: 0x42320000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: