cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ospf default route !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know that suppose i have an ABR that is connected to area 1 and 0. Area 1 is normal, i want to advertise default route from this ABR to only area 1 and not area 0, can you kindly tell me the way by which i can achieve this ?

i dont think default information originate gives me any such option, so what you guys think ?

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI rox,

If you dont have any limitation, you can configure Area 1 as Stub or NSSA and a default route will be advertised by ABR. If you configure "default-information originate", a type 5 LSA will be generated and so you cannot filter it to a particular area.

HTH,

Nagendra

ok taking it as a final word :), can u tell me that we can make virtual link in ospf via two methods,

1) virtual link command

2) gre tunnel

is there also a third way of doing it ??

Rephrasing,

When an ABR is not directly connected to backbone area (Area 0), we can do any of the following :

1. Configure a virtual link using "area virtual-link "

2. If the area via which the virtual-link is to be built is STUB, we use GRE tunnel between ABR and configure the tunnel in AREA 0.

HTH,

Nagendra

Thanks Nagendra, but what about the 3rd method of building this virtual link ?

any idea ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco