cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh network

mansoor9349
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked to design a mesh network. I need to know what things should I keep in mind while doing the WiFi Survey.In additoin to that I need to know can I use any other AP besides 1500 to develop a WiFi Mesh newtwork

cheers

4 Replies 4

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

If you have an indoor background, there is A LOT more you need to know to do a proper site survey outdoor, it's just not the same environment and the same logic...

these 2 documents will help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob41dg/ch8_MESH.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP.html

If you deploy outdoor, 1500 is the model you will use. For indoor mesh, you can use the 1242 or the 1130 as well (but they are not using a NEMA enclosure).

Hope it helps

Jerome

hi jerome,

i've a question re:AIR-PWR-ST-LT-TAP=. i really don't have any idea how this will work on the street lightpoles. on the site, the power to the lamp only turns on at night. will the AIR-PWR-ST-LT-TAP= do the trick of saving power for the ap during daytime?

thanks!

if the power shuts off during the day, your MAP will turn off. This street lamp tap, is to supply power to the MAP or RAP. You need to make sure that the power to the MAP or RAP stays on.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Pirateoftheairwaves!

The AIR-PWR-ST-LT-TAP is designed to plug your AP on light poles, mainly in the US and Canada where there are power sockets on the top of light poles. It does not save power during day time. Actually, it only works if you have power when you need it, usually day and night.

Power is a central issue. There are several ways round. One is to disconnect the light pole from the central switch (that switches day Off night On), and plug it to power permanently. You then have power all the time, and add a light detector on the top of the light pole to turn the local bulb on or off.

In which part of the world are you? There might be more specific solutions...

hth

Jerome

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: