Views
Helpful
Replies

runts error

mathieu.ploton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've connected an INTIP card from an alcatel PABX to a switch (3548XL) and I have lot of runts input error in the interface :

sh int fa0/47

FastEthernet0/47 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0007.50c2.862f (bia 0007.50c2.862f)

Description: PABX-CARTE_INTIP prise 21

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 222/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Auto-duplex (Full), Auto Speed (100), 100BaseTX/FX

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:03:55

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops

5 minute input rate 181000 bits/sec, 109 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 174000 bits/sec, 112 packets/sec

31458 packets input, 7048796 bytes

Received 0 broadcasts, 1350 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

1350 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

33013 packets output, 6953859 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

What does it mean ? How to solve that ? I try to force the duplex and the speed in the intip card and in the interface of the switch with no success... The VLAN 1 is native and the VLAN 100 is in access on the interface.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ata
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

try to change the wire (cable) or the NIC, because the quality of the link is also not the best "reliability 222/255", i think it is a cable problem.

View solution in original post

Hi,

At any point of time the reliability should be 255/255. If this falls down then you will notice the errors on the interface.

Its not that switch needs to have 255. But its how the interface is deisgned to notify if there is any problem with the harware inetrface or cable by dropping the reliability down from 255. If there is any other interface working clean with low reliability would be supriseing.

Regards,

Pravin

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

Runt packets are packets that are less than the minimum packet size (64 bytes for Ethernet). They often occur due to collisions on the line. On switches the cause is usually a mis-matched duplex problem (full on one end and half on the other) caused by bad autodetection of a device. Try "hard coding" the duplex to either full or half on one or both ends and see if the problem goes away. We have had lots of issues with bad NIC cards and/or drivers that cause this. Sometimes upgrading the NIC driver helps.

Hope this helps solve your problem.

Regrads,

Pravin

It's weird because as you can see, there is no collision on the link. I try to force duplex and speed but that doesn't work. At the other hand, it's not a computer but an INT-IP Card of an Alcatel PABX.

Hi,

i would suggest to once change it to full maunaully and check.

Also there are lot of input errors: 1350 input errors

Regards,

Pravin

I've done that, it's not working.

the number of input error = the number of runts error

Thank you again

Mathieu, that is precisely the point. This side is full duplex, so it does not detect collisions. Where you have a duplex mismatch, the full duplex side counts runts, while the half duplex side counts collisions.

If auto did not get rid of the problem, try forcing half duplex, just to try it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

The INTIP side is in auto,

The switch side, i try to force in full, i still have runts, i try to force in half duplex, and it's the same.

As far as i can tell, the link is working (i can call), i'm just worried about this counter...

ata
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

try to change the wire (cable) or the NIC, because the quality of the link is also not the best "reliability 222/255", i think it is a cable problem.

Thats a good catch.

Oh i'vent seen that line, it look like we have a line problem !

don`t forget to rate plz.

Just a think, it's a 3548XL. With a 3560G, the reliability is so much worst (193/255) with the same cable and link. How can we explain that ? The newer switch require more reliability ?

Hi,

At any point of time the reliability should be 255/255. If this falls down then you will notice the errors on the interface.

Its not that switch needs to have 255. But its how the interface is deisgned to notify if there is any problem with the harware inetrface or cable by dropping the reliability down from 255. If there is any other interface working clean with low reliability would be supriseing.

Regards,

Pravin

To speak frankly, the problem is this one :

I've been experiencing errors on this interface of the 3548 but the link is still working (it's a voice port and the calls are quite good).

I try to replace it by a 3560G, same runts errors but now the reliability of the interface is lower and the calls aren't working.

Is reliability really connected to the cable quality ? I just read that it's just number of errors / number of total frames, as errors are runts errors, i'm still facing my problem. But it could probably be the cable as the change of duplex and speed doesn't solve my problem...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: