Views
Helpful
Replies

specifying primary/secondary controllers on APs

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

hello

we currently have 1 4404 controller at site A with around 70 APs spread over a number of sites. we're planning to expand the number of APs and intoduce some reiliance to the WLAN by installing a wism in a 6500 at site B to the 4400.the plan is:-

the 4404 will control the APs at site A.

the wism will control the APs at site B and other satellite sites.

the APs currently get the 4404s IP address via option 43 from dhcp. to get APs to associate with a particular controller can i use option 43 to specify primary/secondary controllers or do i have to 'hard code' this info via the Primary/Secondary Controller Name option (if this is the case can you do this from WCS in V5 or can it only be done from the cli as in v4.2)

thanks

andy

2 Replies 2

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would use the Primary/Secondary option... option 43 will not help your AP decide which one should be the primary, this has to be an AP local information... you can easily do this from WCS, just create an AP template with the secondary controller option clicked and push it down to the APs you need...

BTW, both controllers would preferably be in the same mobility group and know about each other...

hope it helps

Jerome

thanks jerome - had another think about this after i posted and came to the same conclusion - thanks for the quick response.

andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card