CCNP Questions

Unanswered Question
Jun 17th, 2008

Hello All,

Just a few quick questions about the study track for CCNP Certification.

I was toying w/ the idea about building a home lab, but it seems there is a better way to go. By using Dynamips / GNS3, it seems like you can do so much more, if you have access to the Cisco IOS.

Anyways, I was wondering what types of system I should be specing out to run fedora / redhat / any 64 bit version of linux. Would it be beneficial to not skimp on the processor & go w/ a quad core, or would a higher end dual core be enough (3ish GHZ). Memory wise, is 4GB enough, or should I go for 6?

Any help is appreciated, as I havent set this up before.

Lastly, what is the recommended order of taking the CCNP level tests?

Thanks so much for any help!

Jon

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Tue, 06/17/2008 - 05:01

I have worked in Dynamips, but not for all of my CCNP tests. Here is a blog post from a guy that used Dynamips for his CCIE studies not too long ago. I talks about his hardware setup. He also has other posts talking about how he has Dynamips configured.

http://ccie-in-3-months.blogspot.com/2008/02/ccie-practice-my-dynamips-environment.html

A large percentage of people take the tests in the order listed on Cisco's site (BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT). So far I have passed the BSCI and BCMSN, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through my first ISCW book. So far, I haven't seen a lot of overlap between tests. And the little that I have seen so far hasn't really made me glad that I took one test before the other.

Hopefully, someone who has gone through all of them can shed some light. But I doubt you'd ever hurt yourself going through the order that Cisco lists them. Good luck!

Actions

This Discussion