cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

slow internet access, but available bandwidth

omar.sotres
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CMTS 7246VXR,a pix firewall 525(UR), a catalyst 3560g and a router 7204 with a 155Mb internet connection, however when the traffic rises 100Mb, my internet access become too slow, I already check and all the interfaces are 1000Mb, i already check for errors in the interfaces and there aren`t any, the cpu utilization is below 50% in all the devices,where could be the problem??

Regards.

5 Replies 5

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Check with ISP maybe they guarantee 100Mbps but not beyond that. I have also ran into problems where ISPs may have configured their side of QoS incorrectly. So let them double check their configuration and do a live test.

Another thing you can do is to connect to host directly to the outside zone just before the 7204 and try to utilize the link. This test will let you isolate your network devices.

Remark:

- It doesn't hurt to check the PIX CPU utilization during the utilization as I have some doubt it will be able to handle this high speed.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the hints, i already talk to my ISP and they said everything it's ok on their side, i also did that test and when i connect a host directly in the outside zone just behind the 7204 the bandwidth increases up to 123 Mbps, however when i do that same test in the inside zone the problem persists, i check the specs for the pix 525 and it can handle up to 330Mbps and 280,000 simultaneos connections, so i check the show conn and there`s only 118,000 simultaneos connections, so can you tell me what else could be the problem???

Best regards.

I'm not an expert but I did have the exact same problem. We have a Pix515e and experienced latency, too. Outside the f/w speed was fine, going thru it dropped.

Our solution was 2-fold:

1. replace switch connected to f/w;

2. re-set outside int of f/w to AUTO.

I don't know if that will help since you said the int errors were zero.

Thanks Paul, but i already did that two things, the switch is brand new and the change in the interfaces, however the problem persists.

Best Regards.

Hello Omar,

Sorry for the delay but did you get resolved?

A test that you can do is hook up a laptop directly to the PIX inside interface and test and see if you can utilize the link. If yes then go step beyond and check the internet switches.

Let me know,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card