Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote SIP IP phones

tarik.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody, thanks for all.

I have one cisco 2800 series router with CME installed. At my LAN ok. all phones working, but now i want to install remote extensions (Cisco Sip IP-Phones).

The problem is that in the other side my router is not so good to do NAT, is a DLINK. I need some help to know if will work, or if I need to change the router?

I appreciate your atention.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the recommendation for remote phones is that you set a proper VPN for them, so when you have routers that cannod do that, it's better that you replace them.

Note if you have a CME exposed to the internet you're better to limit SIP and H.323 access with ACLS, else you will be likely exploited for toll fraud by people that regularly scans for this type of activities.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thank you very much.

In Brazil is very expansive to make a VPN, so many projects of small clients are not on the way.

I make this post, because there are one cisco IP Phone on my client that is rent by one American Bank. And works very good, behind a not so good router (DLink), without NAT. How the CME works to provide this functionality? How it know what ports are available and not denied?