cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 Upgrade procedure

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

Been reading PDF documentation but do not see a clear path outlining the proper upgrade procedure for our 6513 with single 720 SUP.

Getting ready to put the 6513 in production and would like to try and upgrade before this to get some experience. We are running IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY. Been updating our edge 3750s but have used CNA for that.

I have the IOS file. I also see there is an ROMMON file. Also, is there a boot loader that needs updated.

1. What order do you upgrade these?

2. Is there a document that clearly describes with examples the commands to do the upgrades. Planning on using a TFTP server.

3. Do you copy the new IOS file and set the bootvar to use the new IOS image and keep the old image as a fall back.

4. We are planning on adding the wireless and firewall services module in the near future and will be going to the Advanced IP Services feature set. What considerations to consider when moving from one feature set to another.

Craig

5 Replies 5

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

below link pretty much spells it out how to upgrade IOS images on a 6500 series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801347e2.shtml

Thanks, I also found this document 'Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 6000/6500 Series Switches'.

Still have some questions. The document says since I have the 720 SUP there are no separate images for IOS and bootloader. My startup file uses following for bootvar.

boot system flash sup-bootflash:

Looks like that works if I just have one image there. If I have space and want to load new image and retain old I assume I need to edit the bootvar and point at the specific IOS image to use?

The documents do not discuss upgrading the ROMMON.

Craig

As long as your flash drive is large enough you should be able to have as many images as you like. If your default boot file in the config fails, the second image should automatically start up from flash.

Got the IOS upgraded. Had to delete the old IOS image and run squeeze.

Looking at the ROMMON upgrade. SUP 720 is in slot 7. Do I:

show rom-monitor slot 7 sp

Then:

upgrade rom-monitor slot 7 sp file tftp://rommon file

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card