cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD problem

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

I'm having a weird issue with two devices when I'm trying to use Radius for login authentication.

I get the following log messages.

%RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD: RADIUS server 10.1.1.20:1645,1646 is not responding.

Jun 17 09:01:34.256: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_ALIVE: RADIUS server 10.1.1.20:1645,1646 has returned.

Jun 17 09:01:53.810: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD: RADIUS server 10.1.1.23:1645,1646 is not responding.

There will occasionaly be these entries in the log. I can also "force" these messages to be generated by trying to login with Radius.

I know the Radius server is available. It runs on our primary domain controller via IAS and is used for all of our RAS and Wireless authentication. In this particular case, the IAS server is 1 switch hop away. I've checked the uplink ports on the switch and they're clean of errors, same duplex / speed on both sides. The IAS logs show a successful authentication, but the switch says it timed out.

I've done some forum-digging and people have referred to this same problem and said that an IOS upgrade has fixed the problem, Is this an IOS bug or what's the deal?

I have two devices in particular this is occuring on:

2960: c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-37.EY.bin

Located in my datacenter, 1 switch hop from server

2801: c2801-spservicesk9-mz.124-9.T7.bin

Located across the WAN. WAN links are clean and free of errors. Same scenario.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Will an IOS upgrade really fix my problems?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Error Message: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_ALIVE: RADIUS server [IP_address]:[int],[int] has

returned.

Explanation:A RADIUS server that previously was not responding has responded to a new request.

Recommended Action:No action is required.

Error Message: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD: RADIUS server [IP_address]:[int],[int] is not

responding.

Explanation: A RADIUS server has not responded to repeated requests.

Recommended Action: Check to see if the RADIUS server is still active.