Views
Helpful
Replies

what is best Switch and router for Branch office

hothaifa_tariq
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I have a branch office with 150 user and i need to choose optimum.

for the router what is the best choice 2801 or 1841, network should support VoIP

what is best choice for supporting the 150 user with 1 Gig connection,I have remote site connecting with fibre optic.

is cat3560 is the best choose or cat2960.

the network will contains file server and most data will be large multimedia files .The network is connected to the inter net with 2 Mbps.

thanks

5 Replies 5

DeonLouwBotha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi hothaifa_tariq,

The 2800 series supports call-processing for up to 96 Cisco IP phone users, look at the Cisco 3800 Series which supports call-processing support for up to 240 Cisco IP phone users.

The Catalyst 2960 only has partial POE and those switches run at 10/100, for voice you want full POE and you mentioned 10/100/1000 requirements to the desktop.

If you dont have full POE you will need external power for cisco phones, which not expensive but is a problem to cable and provide to say a warehouse or remote corner of an office; and in case of power cuts provision backup power (APC UPS etc costs per phone).

Look at maybe 4 of the Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS 48 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports with PoE and 4 SFP ports for room for growth where you can populate the SFP slots to link the switches together using fibre.

Hope this helps,

Deon

Dear Pravin

the VoIP is no longer is required. I'm asking how many users can router 2801 router can handle if the user is transferring multimedia files.

the pdf's do not include how many user or session can router handles

regards

hothaifa

Hi hothaifa,

The 2800 series has a throughput on HWIC slots of up to 400 Mbps half duplex or 800 Mbps aggregate throughput.

Hi Hothaifa,

I have set up network in which 600 to 800 users handled by cisco 2801 of course with the internal network connecting to the switches and Gi used as unlinks in all.

As per my suggestion you should be concentrating more on the unlink and not allowing any bottleneck in the network.

Regards,

Pravin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card