Upgrade from UCCE 6.0 to UCCE 7.2

Unanswered Question
Jun 17th, 2008

I'm planning to upgrade a very huge call center from version 6.0 to version 7.2, reading upgrade documents helps a lot but I need to submit a details upgrade plan with activity to be done as this customer is receiving about 700 000 calls per day, it's a critical call center we need to have this upgrade as a success story

We are talking about duplex model (SideA & SideB)

- 2 Loggers

- 2 Routers

- 14 PGs

- Primary AW/HDS & Secondary AW/HDS

- 3 client AWs

I need you help to avoid any risk regarding this upgrade


Ahmed Rizk

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
lpezj Wed, 06/18/2008 - 00:27


The main risk that you have in this upgrade is the process to migrate the data on your database. You have to use the EDMT tool to migrate the databases and with your current activity this will be a very long process that you have to face.

The second problem can be on the Domain change of the servers. You will have to demote your current ICM domain controller (on the loggers) and join to new domain (out od ICM servers).

For me these are the two main problems that ypu have to face. Upgrade guide is, for me, a very good reference. If you plan to make a hardware refresh for the Central Controller and HDS the ,database upgrade will be able to have low risk.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

rbua Wed, 06/18/2008 - 02:00


I would truly recommend the hardware refresh, being on 6.0 and handling a large amount of calls would suggest the hardware might not be up to the task on the newer release.

On top of it I would recommend going for 7.2.5, given that it addresses quite some issues on the CTI side.



Zin.Karzazi Wed, 06/18/2008 - 02:01

You also need to check Callmanager <-> IPCC compatibility.

Also you didnt mention if the customer is having any CVP/IP-IVR installed?

check the compatibility Matrix with those product before you do any Upgrade.

Last but not least go through the BOM (Bill of Material) to assure hardware compatibility.

> On top of it I would recommend going for 7.2.5, given that it addresses quite some issues on the CTI side.

Over 7.2(4)? Riccardo, can you spell it out please?

Ditto on the tech refresh.

Read the upgrade guide over and over - imagine every step. There is one crucial step that is not accurately explained. When the router comes up as simplex it needs to see over half of the PGs to come on-line. This will be a tricky step as you have to remotely get to each of them to run setup with the new IPs. Make sure you have default routing set up to allow enough time to do this. The guide underestimates.

You need a rock solid plan that you work through in detail as a mental exercise time and time again until it's absolutely crystal clear in your mind how it will work. Don't allow the customer to pressure you on time - success is paramount. Do the domain upgrade well in advance, and delay the PG upgrades till well after the Central Controllers are done and stable.

Does the customer have a lab you can test the upgrade on first? You need to know how long the EDMT takes to get the planning correct.



rbua Wed, 06/18/2008 - 07:39

Hi Geoff,

check the release note both for ICM and CTI 7.2.5, CTIOS was object of a full code review given some recently experienced issues.

Since he is upgrading anyway I would prefer that version rather then the previous one.



AHMED Ali Wed, 06/18/2008 - 11:53

Hello Riccardo,

I appreciate your concern regarding H/W upgrade too, but I don't think I've this option as we already get PO from the customer now we are preparing for the implementation, but we will use new H/W for AW/HDS as the upgrade will add another call center with 3 times added capacity to the current one, so currently HDS DB size will not handle reports after adding this call center.

Also regarding ICM version 7.2.5, Is it the most stable version or just the latest?


Ahmed Rizk

rbua Wed, 06/18/2008 - 11:57

Hi Ahmed,

7.2.5 is both. Are you using CTIOS? If you another call center I would run a calculator just to confirm the HW can handle the load.



AHMED Ali Wed, 06/18/2008 - 11:46

Thank you Juan, at least I know about my risk points in that upgrade project:

- DB migration from 6.0 to 7.2

- Domain Change

But I have a couple of questions as I did upgrade before for a very small scale from 5.0 to 7.0, is there a direct upgrade from 6.0 to 7.2.5 or it must be done as the following (6.0 to 7.0 then 7.0 to 7.2.5), second question is can I do sideA upgrade first & let customer work with sideB till sideA upgrade is totally finished, shut down sideB work with the upgraded sideA then start upgrade sideB.

At least this will reduce downtime requested & will give a rollback scenario in case of upgrade fails.


Ahmed Rizk

rbua Wed, 06/18/2008 - 12:00

Hi again,

it is a two step upgrade first to 7.0 then to 7.2.5 you would need both set of medias and on top check to confirm you are running the installerC for 7.0, it will be written on the CD cover.

Yes you could migrate one site at a time, I would recommend disabling config changes while you perform this tasks to avoid later consistency issues.



lpezj Wed, 06/18/2008 - 23:52


Riccardo comments are basolutly right. You need first go to version 7.0, and after that install the SR that you consider, in this case 7.2(5). This SR installation it is very straightfordward so, probably, you won't have problems with the patch.

For the HDS/AW upgrade, if you have developed any custom webview reports make a backup of them for avoiding any surprise with them.

And, please, as related in a previous topic in this conversation, read carefully the upgrade documentation as many times as you need to understand it and make all the backups that the documentation said.

Let us know when you have succeded this upgrade.


Juan Luis


This Discussion