cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does applying ACE's to VPN's on ASA slow the VPN down slightly?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco ASA and a test site-to-site VPN and a test Cisco client VPN coming into it. I had a rule which was just allow any any before on the outside interface to the inbound interface where the servers are. But have now added many many rules to lockdown what users on the VPN can get to so just the servers and their ports required are open.

Can this slow down the connection response to the user?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Assuming your entries are configured in an efficient way i.e making sure the most matching rules are at the top of the access list, there are no entries logging events unless you really need it, using group objects whenever applicable .. etc. It is most likely that the user will not even notice the difference. The approach you had followed is the correct from a security perspective.

I hope it helps .. please rate helpfull posts

Thanks, so it might be best I move the ACE's to the top of the outside list? I have about 15 and I can simply use the ASDM to do this?

Thanks

It is a best practice to put ACEs for frequently occuring traffic like management traffic (routing,snmp etc) at the top of ACLs. I think this should be doable in ASDM.

Regards

Farrukh

Great there is a nice copy and paste function in the ADSL :)

THanks guys, how can I also tell if the rules are being logged?

on the CLI you can use

show access-list

ASDM also has a similar field I think (8.x even has a real time one AFAIR).

Regards

Farrukh

I did a sh access-list - should there simply be a "log" at the end of each ACE?

The 'show access-list' will show you a hitcount irrespective of the 'log' keyword.

The log keyword goes one step further to generate syslogs whenever the ACE is matched.

Regards

Farrukh

Hi Happs, I am getting hit counts, just popped onto the ASDM.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This limited ammount of filtering should not cause any performance issues.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card