cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting closet switches

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, if I have 4 floors say with 200 users on, how would i connect thesesay 5 switches together on each floor? stack them, or connect switches to each other and also all of them to one of the switches ?

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switches are stackable, i.e. 3750 series, stack them, then uplink the stack. If possible, use a multiple member uplink channel so that failure of any one switch in the stack doesn't disconnect the whole stack. (Also assuming the next device upstream is a chassis, and if it supports multiple line card channels, use such, so again failure of an individual line card doesn't disconnect the downstream stack.)

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your best bet will be to star them out from a single switch for easy of troubleshooting . Daisy chaining is a poor option . Not sure what you mean by stack them , are you using 3750"s as those are the only switches that are really stacked.

when you say star them, do you mean have one switch, connect them all to that one switch, then connect the switch tothe distribution switches. what would you do if they dont stack?

Yes. "Star"ing them is simply that. You're creating "hub-and-spoke" topology. Essentially, the "aggregation" switch will become 2nd distribution switch (sounds like you already have one).

If your switches don't stack (i.e. you're NOT running 3750s), then that's your only option. As the other poster said, daisy-chaining is BAD. The only thing worse than daisy-chaining is daisy-chaining using GigaStack!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco