Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring a router via console port

mathieu.ploton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've a router in a DMZ. I can access it through my administration LAN. One of the computer in this LAN is connected to it through the console serial port and when i need to administrate it, I make a remote connection to the computer and use hyperterminal. What I would like to do is to be able to monitor the router through this console port because I can't access it (snmp or telnet) through the network due to firewalls.

Ideally, i would like to generate snmp traps from my remote admin computer when router interfaces fall down.

Is is possible ? What kind of software would help me reach that aim ?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Through the console port you can manually see the device conditions through the various show commands , better automated solution is SNMP configuration.

srimural
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Monitoring a router or a device on the console is not advisable. The interrupts the CPU needs to process for console logging is pretty high and can impact services if high error rate or anything to occupy the CPU happens.

Its always desirable to put in no console logging in devices.

You can connect a cross connect from the PC you are connecting the console to and do an SNMP reporting. This will be a standalone PC and do a RDC to the PC and monitor the SNMP rather than the console itself.

Certain NMS like SMARTS,Netcool etc are able to port the traps and snmp details to other management stations. So you can try that as well. But SMARTS and NETCOOL requires alot of investements.

Regards,

Srinath.M

Cable&Wirless

+91 99809 30364

Hi,

Thank for the answer,

What do you call a cross connect ?

Thank you again,

MP

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.I mean to tell connect a ethernet port on the router which is free to the PC and configure an IP connectivity.

Then host an snmp station on the PC and walla you are good to go.

Regards,

Srinath.M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: