cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Heres a Mindbender for you all to solve

thestagman
Level 1
Level 1

I have one Cisco Layer 2 Switch with 10 Servers attached. This switch in turn connects to a Cisco Pix 515e Firewall on the inside interface

9 of the servers have no problems and can access the relevant services/clients residing on the outside interface

One of the servers (Server1) cannot connect to any services on the outside, neither can it ping its default Gateway (inside interface, other servers can).

Nothing pertaining to Server1 is being dropped according to the Firewall logs.

The Server can see the FW's layer two address

The switch can see both the FW and Servers MAC address on the respected ports

The Firewall can see the Servers MAC address

The server can also ping the other local servers

Server1 is in the same Object-group as the other servers

Server1 is in the same Vlan as the other servers

The switch port has been bounced (shut/unshut)

The server has been bounced

The Servers IP config has been checked and is correct

I'm thinking its an issue with the Server itself and not the switch or firewall

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yup. That whole blade center thing was a minor clue. I've had this happen with our blade centers and it was part of the setup (BIOS???) portionof the blade center. That's the management portion where you enable the switch ports (NICs) on the blade.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jphilope
Level 3
Level 3

Have you verified layer 1 (Cable, NIC, Port)?

Yes, as said the layer 2 addressing has been resolved.

All sorted ..

I forgot to mention that these servers are all Blade Servers within one chassis. The Server was at fault. In the end we swapped two servers around. The original still did not work while the 2nd server worked in the origianl server1's slot.

I suppose the easy way to prove / disprove an issue with the server is to whip out the network cable (as it can't see anything on the network anyway) plug it into a laptop or something then see what you get

that's a bit difficult since the blades it self doesn't have their own nic connected to the outside world. the chassis of the blade center has a small switch (or switches) who are connecting to the outside world. so indeed swapping a blade is the easiest way to do (if you have access to the box). or call-in remote hands.

Yup. That whole blade center thing was a minor clue. I've had this happen with our blade centers and it was part of the setup (BIOS???) portionof the blade center. That's the management portion where you enable the switch ports (NICs) on the blade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card