cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a Linksys WRT300N as head end for 1130AG

MattNicholls_2
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a seperate DSL line connected to a Linksys wireless router/switch for public use. We were given an 1130AG access point and would like to find a way to use a switch port off of the Linksys to connect to the FA port on the 1130AG and have the AP pass DHCP requests and all other traffic to the Linksys. This works if instaed of the 1130AG I use another Linksys router. I am able to assign the second router a static IP off of the first router and that second router uses a different IP range for it's DHCP clients. Because the 1130AG is restricted to handing out 10 DHCP client IPs I can't do the same thing and supply enough IP's to the public in my Jury room. I have been unable to get the AP to use the Linksys DHCP assignments. I orignially tried assigning a mgmt vlan and gues vlan on the AP where the mgmt vlan and ssid are the same as the ssid on the Linksys. Neither was succesful though I was able to connect to the AP when I forced my laptop to connect to that MAC. I then tried only have the mgmt vlan and opening that up for public use, that met with the same results. Then I tried setting up the AP to have no vlan but use the same ssid as the Linksys, still no luck. If I set the AP to receive it's address by DHCP it receives that address from the Linksys but other client traffic doesn't appear to work. So the two units are speaking to each other.

Has anyone tried to do this before? I know I should have a controller for the AP but I don't currently have the budget for that unit and the AP was given to us.

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can get it to work, but the 1130 management has to be configured for vlan 1 and the ssid has to be mapped to that vlan also. The Linksys router along with other soho routers don't have support for routing and having more than one subnet.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card