Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Filters vs Wild Cards

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Can someone help explains what are the Pros and Cons of using Router filters vs Wild Cards when designing a dialplan !!

What do people normally use out there ?

Thank you very much !!!

Danny

5 Replies 5

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Danny,

Some thought on this:

Route filters apply when the route pattern is used with the @ macro that represents the NANP.

If the CUCM is servicing phones outside of the US, then the @ macro is probably not a good fit.

Route filters can be complex, especially when you have to apply several filters to a pattern. Explicit route patterns with wildcards on the other hand can easily be blocked.

If you have several classes of service, with several different calling restrictions and allowances, explicit route patterns may be straiht forward. Patterns with the @ macro and filters can be powerful, yet complex.

The choice might be influenced by the situation. For example a single site deployment with unrestricted calling privileges could be sufficiently serviced by a single 9.@ route pattern, and perhaps one or two filters. Another deployment with multiple locations and classes of service might go for straight forward route patterns with wildcards. I'd bet there's more of the latter out there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

As always I appreciate the response !!! I am bringing up a new office in Beijing China and it sounds like explicit route patterns with wildcards is better fit for this location. I do have several classes of service. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Do you have any documents on Route Patterns with wildcards ?

Thank you very much !!!

Danny

One more thing worth to remind, since you build up one in Beijing - did you have China number plan installed?

If you only have NANP, then route filter with local/long/service classification may not be suitable for you.

Hi Danny,

Here are a couple of documents that may have some similarity with your upcoming deployment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f54af.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800945b9.shtml

So will you get to travel to Beijing?

Good luck.

Michael.

Thanks Michael ! I appreciate your response !!! I am still waiting on some hardwares to arrive and the analog lines to be installed, once I have all the pieces in place yes, I will be traveling to Beijing. I will stick with the wildcard route patterns.

Thanks again !!!

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: