Least Cost Routing VoIP between CME sites - can it be done?

Unanswered Question
Jun 18th, 2008

Is it possible to configure LCR between two CME sites? I have two different CME's that are in two different states and would like to take advantage of the PSTN connections at both sites. I'm currently using h323 dial-peers for 4-digit dialing and toll bypass, but am not quite sure how to get site A to dial out site B's ISDN line for PSTN calls.

I'm using CallManager Express at both sites.

Any hints?

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Michael Owuor Wed, 06/18/2008 - 22:53

Mike,

This can be done. Make the configuration transparent to the IP phone users, so they will just dial the numbers as long distance numbers. Configure redundancy via dial-peers. Two dial-peers will do the trick. The first dial-peer will send the call to the remote gateway for it to be routed out as a local call. If the number dialed is dialed as 91+10 digits, strip the 91 (and the area code if necessary) before sending the call to the remote gateway which should already be configured to route the call out as a local call. The second dial-peer is a failover dial-peer, to be used incase the WAN is down or the remote gateway is not available to route out the call. In this case, the call is sent out the local gateway as a normal long distance call.

The configuration could look somewhat like this:

!

voice translation-rule 4

rule 1 /^91212/ /212/

!

voice translation-profile LCR

translate called 4

!

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description ** LCR Via CME_Site_B **

destination-pattern 91212[2-9]......

translation-profile outgoing LCR

preference 1

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

description ** LD to CME_Site_B Via Local PSTN**

destination-pattern 91212[2-9]......

preference 2

forward-digits 11

port x/x

!

Hope this helps.

Michael.

m-ketchum Thu, 06/19/2008 - 12:55

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions.

It turns out that I was over complicating things by adding an incoming dial-peer at my far-end system. As soon as I removed that the incoming VoIP calls started routing out the PSTN.

I'll use your preference suggestions for failover dial-peers.

Thanks much,

Mike

Michael Owuor Thu, 06/19/2008 - 13:48

You are welcome Mike. Good to hear that all is well in your VoIP world :-)

Regards,

Michael.

Cecilia Joo Mon, 01/26/2015 - 04:05

Hi,

Can you please refer to a configuration guide? I would need that quite urgently and I cannot find a general guide so far. 

Thank you,

Cecilia

Actions

This Discussion