cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controllers for 1252 and 1522 mesh APs

psshergill
Level 1
Level 1

We are doing a site survey for wireless infrastructure. Redundnat controller implementations is what we are looking at. We were informed about using 2 controllers for redundancy but now during site survey, it has been informed that a different version of code is required to support 1252 and 1522 mesh APs. That essentially mean that if we have a mix of these two types of APs, two controllers each (four total) will be required. That seems to be too many controllers to support even if it is a small site requiring few 1252 and 1522 APs. Any particular reason that a controller running a particular version of code can not support both types of APs?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Scott Pickles
Level 4
Level 4

psshergill -

I'm going to make an honest attempt at answering your question. While I'm an Engineer by trade, I would assume from a business group standpoint that Cisco has different teams managing the code and hardware required to support MESH and non-MESH APs. While there is code that will support indoor and outdoor APs simultaneously, the 1252 is Cisco's newest and most advanced AP yet. For this reason, I would think that the differences in code required to support it on a controller are different enough that a common code platform simply has not been written yet. That isn't to say that it isn't being worked on, and may possibly be delivered some time in the 5.0 code train. To summarize, you've got to understand the different paces at which the teams responsible for each code train are moving, and they simply haven't converged yet.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for your answer. I would need some additional assistance. I have heard conflicting stories where one side stating that Cisco is moving in the direction of implementing seprate controllers for mesh and non-mesh APs while another side saying that it is at present with congergence of two in near future. I would like to ask this question to someone at Cisco directly (in addition to great assitance from our community). Any pointer as to who to reach out?

Thanks,

Gill

What I have been told is that the new 5.1 code will bring both back together. I think this will also allow the 1252 to be part of the mesh..... will this change.... you never know. My though is, another new code that combines the two together will most likely have its issues.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card