cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501 site to site vpn name resolution

scramer13
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites, each have a pix 501 and I have a site to site vpn between them. Everything is working except I am not able to resolve names. For instance if I am at one school and trying to access the DC at the other school I can type in it's inside IP address \\192.168.20.3\apps and get right into that share but I cannot type \\gsdc1\apps. I read some stuff about fixup protocol for dns and I set no fixup protocol dns on both Pix's but it didn't make a difference.

7 Replies 7

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1) Are you using WINS servers?

2) If you do ipconfig /all on the client and server what do you see in this field:

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXX

3) Have you enabled 'Netbios over TCP' on the NIC?

Regards

Farrukh

I have Wins installed on both servers. They are windows server 2003. When I do ipconfig /all I don't see a node type. No I do not have netbios over tcp enabled. Should I??

My pix is doing dhcp if this makes a difference.

Okay in looking at this on my windows server if I go to the advanced properties of tcp/ip and to WINS I have no server setup. Should I?

tkstkstks
Level 1
Level 1

have u defined the domain name in pix

if so, define DNS suffix on ur DNS server.

Okay I did not have the domain defined. I did this but I also see in the pix I don't have anything setup w/ WINS. Do I need to?

The thing is that Netbios is a protocol that 'broadcasts' by default. That is why i asked you so many question. If you assign WINS to your VPN clients (or on the NIC initiating the file share, the request will be unicasted to the WINS Server, thereby making it work.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: